JULY 2: GUIDE2.CO.NZ: Parliament’s health select committee has issued terms of reference for its inquiry into early detection and treatment of prostate cancer.
The inquiry was announced on May 27 and the committee said today it would:
- Seek a summary of the contemporary literature on the subject including incidence, mortality, groups at risk and testing options;
- Seek opinions from asymptomatic men and patient advocacy groups;
- seek opinions from specialist clinicians, radiation oncologists, urologists and general practitioners, epidemiologists and ministry officials;
- Seek the best methods to promote awareness for early detection and treatment; and
- Seek a cost benefit analysis, if appropriate.
The committee said it would call for submissions in the next few days.